03 November 2007

don't give me lip


tom selleck did it. mahmoud ahmadinejad did it. don adams did it briefly on get smart in his role as agent 86. jason schwartzman made it popular in the darjeeling limited. ryan gosling did the same in lars and the real girl. even lucille ball did it (for laughs!).

so why can't i do it, at least in peace and quiet. all week long i've been getting lip from my family for the doing the same thing as my famous (and infamous) compatriots listed above.

i'm talking about my mustache. what is it about this little sprouting of facial hair that inspires such passion? my wife and kids have not stopped, and frankly, you CAN blame them. okay, i get it - i do have the longest mutton chops in north america (my transatlantic rival is chef alain passard of l'arpege in paris) ... so it's not SUCH a big jump to the middle of my face.

but boy, oh boy, have i gotten 'rotten tomato' reviews from my nearest and dearest.

if you can't shake things up a bit with a hirsute attitude, what's the hope for changing the world?

maybe jane will pull a 'samson and delilah' while i sleep - the kids have likewise threatened a 'drake and josh' stunt mimicking this biblical story also ...

h

No comments: